Here at Affinity RV, we are about bringing family & lifestyle together, if you are wanting to start RV'ing and bring your children along, we have some tips for you!
1.) Purchasing the RIGHT RV:
If you currently don't own an RV, try renting first!
With renting, you can have a renting consultant help you choose the right RV that will fit the size of your family with the correct sleeping and seating size! They will also be able to go over the ins and outs of the RV with you, if you have a newborn or toddler, Many older models of motorhomes do not have a carseat latch but many newer models do! Make sure to ask all how to correctly install the carseat into the RV that you are renting or purchasing.
If you are ready to purchase, work closely with a sales representative to find the right RV to fit the whole families wants and needs.
2.) Pack Accordingly:
When packing for your trip, make sure to not over pack, only pack necessary items that you and your children need. Storage bins are a great way to keep items organized in your RV and not moving around while you are in transit. You can use storage bins in the cabinets to hold food items or larger storage bins for clothes and shoes in the closet or undercarriage of your RV.
3.) Meal Planning:
With kids or not, it's always a great idea to plan your meals before hitting the road. Bring snacks and easy to eat items that children can easily access while you are in transit.
We have tons of easy camping recipes on our Pinterest:
When choosing a location, make sure to choose an RV park or destination that has enough things to do to keep your children entertained. Many RV parks have playgrounds or activities for children, especially during peak seasons. When booking make sure to ask if they offer anything for children.
5.) Items To Bring:
- Baby Fence: If you have a toddler, a baby fence works great to put in the entry door of your RV.
- Door Mat & Broom: A door mat and broom can go a long way!
- S'mores: Everyone loves s'mores!
- Fold-able High Chair: There are many high chairs that can fold down to a size that can fit easily in a closet or compartment.
- Bed Rail: If your child is going to sleep on a bunk bed or area they can fall out of, make sure to get a bed rail, they are extremely easy to set up and take down
- Proper Clothing: Depending on the area you are traveling to, make sure to bring proper clothing, always pack a jacket and rain boots!
- Toys: A good tip is to bring one small storage bin and to let your children pack their favorite toys in it so your RV doesn't get over crowded, when they want to bring a new toy, they have to leave one home.
- Board Games: In case of bad weather, make sure to bring board games, coloring books or movies in case the kids have to stay inside for the day.
RV'ing is a great way to spend quality time with family and get the kids outdoors to see new places and experience new things! RV'ing can create memories that will last a lifetime!
What tips do you have for RV'ing with children?
Leave them in a comment below!
Our Recent Posts
3 Tips for Successfully Painting Your RV Interior
March 30, 2020
Benefits and Challenges of RV life with Children
March 12, 2020
Opting out of Normal - Full Time RV'ing as a Military Family